Family room Christmas tour

December 09, 2014

It’s that time of year again – I’m joining 19 other bloggers for another series of beautiful holiday home tours. My friend Just a Girl is our host!

I was SO excited to decorate our “new” kitchen and family room for Christmas this year. The actual kitchen hasn’t gotten it’s makeover yet, but the layout is totally different and WE LOVE IT! Goodness, it’s wonderful.

I’m going to try to not talk much here and just let the photos do it for me:

holiday home tour @thriftydecorchick

I shared the kitchen shelves decked out for the holidays here but I had to share them again because I FINALLY finished the trim up by the crown:

Christmas kitchen shelves Again, this area (where the table is) is where our sectional used to sit – that gives you an idea of how much space we gained when we took down a wall.

The to do list is just starting in the kitchen – painting the trim in the bay window is first up:holiday home tour @thriftydecorchickAfter that…well, you’ll just have to stay tuned for the plan. :)

I didn’t do a lot of Christmas decorating in the kitchen this year – overall I’ve cut down on the Christmas decor I use. I much prefer to change up the items I already have out and make them look a little more festive.

I did add a little rosemary tree (I use rosemary for our Christmas prime rib):

holiday home tour @thriftydecorchick Christmas window

And those curtains? A set of $5 towels from HomeGoods:

holiday home tour @thriftydecorchick

The kitchen table has a red, green and white runner and my long DIY wood trough that normally sits on the fireplace: 

DIY long wood boxDIY long wood box

You can take just about anything, stuff it with greenery and pinecones…and it will look fantastic this time of year. Use what you have!

I have so many favorite parts of this room now – one of those being the new doors:

double atrium doors replacing window

They completely, 100 percent, change the look and feel of the entire space. And they function so much better too – they were meant to be here from the start.

The family room got a few touches of Christmas, but I’m most excited about the fireplace and built ins:

holiday home tour @thriftydecorchick 

I’ve been looking for skinny sconces for months and I found them yesterday:

 fireplace with built ins for electronics

They aren’t really sconces at all, but candleholders from Hobby Lobby. I got the idea from what Lindsay did over her fireplace. I took the handles off, hung them each with a nail and there. you. go. They are so pretty and exactly what I was looking for:

sconces from candleholders

They are half off this week for $12! Love them!

Anymore I use real greenery for most areas inside – I just love the look of it and there’s no storing it year to year! It’s my splurge every Christmas, but this 20 foot piece I used on the mantle was only $15 at Lowe’s:

Christmas mantel real greenery

I let it cascade down onto the built ins and wrapped a couple strands of lights around it. On the top of the fireplace I just filled it with brown ornaments and pine cones:

brown ornaments with garlandgreenery and brown accents

I filled in some areas with cuttings from our real tree to fluff it up a bit. I absolutely LOVE it!

natural greenery fireplace

I found some beautiful (free!) printables that Kellie created last year and put them in our frames that lean on the built ins:

free chalkboard printable

free chalkboard printables

There are four total and they are so pretty! Love it!! I hope to use more around the house.

The metal candlesticks are all Goodwill finds from years back and I always seem to find a place for them at Christmas. They are so elegant and pretty!

I LOVE how this whole area turned out. The new “sconces” really make all the difference I think: gray fireplace herringbone tile

I have them centered on the TV but I may move them up just a bit…we’ll see. I’m just so excited I found what I was looking for. :)

I said I wasn’t going to talk, didn’t I? Oops. OK…I’ll shut up -- enjoy the rest of the pics!:

gray fireplace and built insholiday home tour @thriftydecorchick placemat pillow holiday home tour @thriftydecorchick gold sunburst mirror holiday home tour @thriftydecorchicknoel sign knock off pottery barn

For the tutorial on that Pottery Barn knock off art, go here.

Just including this one because I loved how it focused in on the wreath in the reflection. :) At first glance I thought the whole shot was out of focus:

holiday home tour @thriftydecorchick holiday home tour @thriftydecorchickThis reminds me…Elf needs to find a new spot for the day. :)

Whew! See, aren’t you glad I couldn’t take more pics?? I’ll be back with more of the house soon. For now I’m enjoying a couple spaces that don’t have pine needles all over the floor.

Next up on the tour is Emily from Eleven Gables! Her home is stunning! 

Email subscription form header
Your email:*
Please enter all required fields Click to hide
Correct invalid entries Click to hide

Comments

  1. Nice, thank you for sharing 😊 love the deer head!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning!!!! Going back for a few more peeks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that dark mantle with the rustic touches is my favorite part!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh Sarah I LOVE it all!! I'm in love with all your home transformations this year! Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah! I've said it before... I love the switcharoo with the doors! Totally made the room! We did the same thing recently. It totally changes the way we live in our home. Beautiful tour!! xox, Emily @ 11gables.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your mantel looks so beautiful all decked out for Christmas! I just want to curl up on your couch with the lights off and enjoy it! Love all the simple touches of Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything looks perfect! Love those sconces! I may have to get some!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Would love to know more about that table runner - did you make it or buy it?? Also what's the scoop on the reindeer head. Love it and all of your home which I've seen here... Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was from HomeGoods! I was going to make one but didn't get enough fabric. This one is nice and long. The reindeer head on the shelves is an ornament from Hobby Lobby. :)

      Delete
  9. Hi.
    The rooms look so bright & beautiful really loved the fireplace look with the tile & sconces. question on where did you get the curtain rods for the kitchen window. are they tension rods? I wanted something thin like that for my windows too. any details would help. Seasons greetings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous as always! Your new living room and fireplace are the perfect backdrop for Christmas decor! Can't wait to see the rest of your home :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So pretty! I love the pics with the pets in them. LOL at them on top of the couch cushions. Our last cats slept at the top of our couch cushions. They flattened them out and ruined them. When I bought a new couch, I bought one with attached cushions. The cats we have now don't sit up there, so I guess it worked?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just have to say, I pretty much die every time I see your fireplace! *swoon* It is just perfect! And has totally transformed your space! I love the new addition of your "sconces" and I even kind of like yours better!!! (ssshhhh) Your Christmas decorating looks gorgeous!! I love the simplicity and sophistication!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your mantle looks amazing! Those sconces really do add the perfect touch! Great find. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your home is so cozy and festive and I adore your fireplace. Gorgeous. My absolute favorite is cats and a dogs on a sofas ;) That's what makes every home even more snuggly. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love all the real greenery, although I have to say that I was hoping to see a tree in your family room with all the extra space you have now!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I planned to put one in there! But we have four trees throughout the house and I think that's all I can handle at this point. ;)

      Delete
  16. I love it! I think I'm going to steal your "sconce" idea for above the island if I can somehow hang them. I've always wanted lights there, but the cost to wire them is insane. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am love, love, loving your simple but elegant Christmas decor-that is exactly what I was going for with my home with my fiance' this year! Now just to head out back to our pines and snag some fresh greenery & pine cones to add into the mix.
    P.S. I love the shot of your sweet pup curled up on the back of the couch ;)

    xoxo, SS

    www.TheSouthernStylista.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh come on. How am I supposed to comment on a particular favorite? I love them all! Every single detail is gorgeous. Seriously! Thank you for joining! As if you had a choice... :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my word- well done!! I love your home and how you have it for holiday. WOW!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful decoration. Loved the chandelier <3 Happy Holidays!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I did enjoyed this tour - a little at a time is good. I look forward to the rest of your home. It's such a pleasure to see how others decorate for the season especially when I'm too busy to get to it myself right now. Your home is very festive, thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely! I see you got your Marsala on :) You are ahead of the crowd! I do love that color and your decor showcases it so well.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful, as always Sarah! I love the shelf + dining room table and brilliant find on the sconces! And the kitty in the window. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love everything about your home decor! Beautiful. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the beautiful green wreaths hanging from the windows. Are they real or really good fakes? I can't seem to either at a good (inexpensive) price. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are preserved boxwood wreaths I got from Decor Steals -- I have had them for a couple years now and they are holding up beautifully!

      Delete
  26. Everything is gorgeous Sarah! Yay for the sconces! They are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  27. How do you get your pets to leave everything alone? I had to give up this year because my cat was obsessed with everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! They get into everything and I just try to keep up with it. ;)

      Delete
  28. Could you share the paint color on the fireplace? Love it!

    ReplyDelete

If you have a specific question I will do my best to answer you back here!

You can find our paint colors and links to items at the "Our Home" tab at the top of my site.

THANKS so much for reading!