Friday, January 10, 2014

Top ten pins

Hey all! Well, our winter break turned into three weeks – another day off school today! We got more snow last night and the roads were crap so I’m glad they canceled again. We’ll hit 40 today and I can already hear the snow falling off the roof (SO loud). I’m ready to see the ground again!

I’ll be back to normal posting next week for sure – they won’t go up quite as late in the day! :)

So are you (still) a Pinterest fan? It’s kind of lost it’s dazzle to me – I still use it but it became a bit overwhelming. Just a lot of STUFF and overstimulation I guess. I do use it a lot to search for specific DIY/decorating things though – probably more than Google now. It’s just not not the obsession it once was for me.

So I was interested when my blog friend Melissa recently shared how to look up my most popular pins for any time period, say in the past year. (Go to analytics, set your time frame, acquisition, all referrals, Pinterest.) It was fascinating to see, especially since so many of them didn’t have great photos. I know the perfect shot will be pinned more, but many of these weren’t all that great so I thought that was cool.

My tenth most popular pin for 2013 was this one for my black doors in the basement:

black interior doors I don’t see the black door trend going anywhere soon. At least I hope not cause I love it. :) You can see the post for the how-to here.

This one is a great example of a random picture that seemed to pique people’s interest:

spray paint lamps

That photo is a Goodwill lamp I spray painted and I think it’s funny that a shot like this would bring so much interest. Just goes to show it doesn’t need to be perfect. :)

One of my favorite projects ever, my $50 wood planked wall was number seven:

DIY wood planked wall

It was so easy and we get compliments on it every time someone sees it. Check out the update I made to it recently. :)

Here’s one that surprised me too – a shot of my glittery reindeer in process:

reindeer

It’s funny because like most of these pins, I got more traffic than actual pins by far. (High pins doesn’t always mean high traffic and vice versa.) This only had 83 repins but brought in a lot of traffic – I think people were probably like, what in the world is that? :)

This one did not surprise me – it’s actually one of my most popular posts I’ve ever done. I shared my ideas on decorating above the kitchen cabinets here:

decorating above the cabinetsI think it’s a hard spot to work with and obviously others do too!

My painting tips post, again with a so not fancy photo, was high up there too:

painting tips I use an old mug when I’m painting with a brush – it’s so much easier to carry around than a gallon of paint!

This one made me smile – I shared my (easy) “summer beer” recipe in a post about our deck and the drink is what was popular on Pinterest:

summer beer

It is pretty darn good. ;)

I thought this was interesting because it was a Christmas ornament DIY that wasn’t pinned till late in the year, but it was my third highest for traffic:

easy Christmas ornament craft

Like so many of these, the project wasn’t even from this year!

Another one along the same lines – an end of the year pin about my almost free Halloween decor and it was the second highest pin for traffic:

easy Halloween ideas

They really are cheap and easy ideas – file those away for next year. ;)

And my highest that brought me the most visits was a photo of our warm and cozy family room:

warm colors family room

Our family room doesn’t look anything like that now but I did love it then! The sofas and rug didn’t hold up well at all – this was from three and half years ago. I think a traditional look will always be popular, that’s for sure! It’s classic and cozy – the reason I love it.

I just thought these were interesting and had to share. What was crazy was how some of the lowest repinned posts brought in more traffic. And some of mine with way more repins aren’t even close to the top ten for traffic.

Are you pinning as much as you used to? Has it lost it’s luster for you? (If you’d like to follow me you can do so here.)

And go ahead and try the summer beer in the winter – it’s allowed. ;)

15 comments:

  1. I always think it's fun to look at my analytics and see what draws people to my blog. Its like having a garage sale. The things you think will sell first don't sell at all and the things that you don't think will sell and you thought should go in the trash pile, sell first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about pinterest! Now I only look at it if I am looking for something in particular. I am thinking of painting my front door but undecided on color so searched on Pinterest and Houzz. I guess it had its 15 minutes of fame and now everyone has calmed down. I am thinking of painting the inside of my back door black. My townhouse is a shotgun style and I think the black door would help stop the eye. The only thing holding me back is that it has a window in the door with white panes that are built in so they will have to stay white.Any thoughts? I did paint the outside of the door going to the garage turquoise and I love it...the white does not bother me but just wondering if it would take away from the black on the inside. My kitchen has black appliances and I use dark blue, white and pops of lime green there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looked at Pinterest for a short time--never joined. Then did more recently for my shop. I do get some views each week from there. It is neat to look at but who has the time?? Especially if you prefer to read your favorite blogs in your small bits of free time! I have to let you know...you planned ahead for the cold. Now plan ahead for possible water main breaks. Get to the store and get your water! Here in MO we had the kids back yesterday--late start. (I don't mind the extra down time with my kids here either--it's cozy.) Today, after two days of warmer/normal temps the pipes are bursting throughout our area (St. Louis). They are fixing 30-60 breaks a day. The deep freeze, then warmer temps, and pipes are bursting. I noticed last night at midnight. It was fixed by 1pm today--just after I ran to the store for water to wash our hands in and to flush the toilets!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Pinterest and have found many great blogs from the various things I have pinned. I probably pin more than I execute, but I love the pin-spiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Pinterest, too, but I use it more as a virtual scrapbook. I get on, look things up, pin them, then get off. When I need a recipe from my board, I just look it up and print it. I used to have a HUGE 3-ring binder that I stuffed with torn magazine pages of all my decorating ideas. Now I use Pinterest instead. It's much lighter and more convenient :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Pinterest still but I do find it a bit overwhelming sometimes. There's just so much to look at. I honestly think that it would help me if the columns weren't so wonky -- I like straight lines and I find it hard to look at everything because there's not a lot of order to it. I probably sound crazy, but that's my only real gripe with Pinterest. As for that summer beer, I may just make that this weekend! Why not?! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never pinned...but am signed up. So I'm probably one of the counts for just looking. Do use it a lot and like being able going to the source. One of the my most searched pins is for a brown couch. Mine is really well constructed, down and so darn comfortable... I have no want to change it. But hard to find good examples in rooms fitting my decor. Am beginning to see more of them in the latest decor though. Maybe there are more people out there with them than thought. Can't remember, but maybe I found you through the pin. I do remember the photo, specifically the rug with teal. And I really should pin, my bookmarks have become out of control.

    Same temp as you. Keep warm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not on pinterest as much either, I mainly go on it for business ideas and new trends in hair. I love all your pins!!! I really enjoy reading your blog! I cant wait to see what other cool projects you do this year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Pinterest!!! As a visual person it gives me so much inspiration!!! Not just to copy a pin, but also to incorporate my own ideas. I actually found your blog through Pinterest and love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those look like my couches, which also are not holding up well! Are they from JC Penney, by any chance? Did you have a problem with popping springs too? I've only had them three years and they need to be replaced already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise I think those were from a local store, I can't remember the brand? The fabric and pretty much everything else fell apart. :) We had ours for about four years I think.

      Delete
  11. That rug has the colors I am looking for... do you remember where you got it from or have you seen anything remotely similar? I am in NC, but, can order online... :) *Long time follower... " <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. These days I mainly use Pinterest to file things I found online (this week it is fabrics as I'm getting ready to open an Etsy shop for pillows). I also use it as a search engine. There is a paint color I've been considering, and I wanted to see it on other people's walls.

    I have one particular post that drives a lot of traffic to my blog, but those folks don't read past that one post, or even leave a comment. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi there! I'm stopping by from Pinterest, where I am a new follower. Your blog is great! I can't wait to see more pins.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE, love, love your comments! (I read every single one.)

I occasionally have to turn off anonymous comments because of spam. If so, you can comment if you sign in with a WP/Google +/gmail account.

If you have a specific question, make sure I can answer you back by adding your email to your google/blog account! And be sure to check out the FAQs tab at the top of the site. Due to the number of emails I get, I just can't get back to everyone.

THANKS so much for reading!